Jordan in the ER

And you think I'm finally going to write about the ER visit I eluded to a couple of weeks ago? I will, but he was in there again on Tuesday. My poor baby.

The first visit was because Nathan got into the Spray N' Wash, and thinking it was water, squirted poor Jordan in the face and eyes. I missed it while I was doing laundry, and when I saw Nathan playing with it, I took it right away, and while Jordan's hair was slightly damp in places, his face was fine. He also acted fine for hours, then started crying and wouldn't stop. I also noticed he wouldn't open his eyes! I called poison control first, and they agreed I should take him in (I'd tried rinsing his eyes out earlier, but it didn't seem to help.) It took forever, but I finally got in there (Jordan was running around the waiting room the whole time) and they squirted some stuff in there to check the eyes--the doctor said he could see a slight infection, but that it would be gone by morning. And it was!

On Tuesday, Chris came home early, a little after 5. I was cleaning the boys' room, and he went downstairs to work on the bathroom we're remodeling. Jordan, Jewel, Nathan and my nephew, Lucas, we're all watching Sesame Street. I came into the living room on my way downstairs to put some blankets away, and I saw Jordan--he looked perfectly fine. I came back about about 2 minutes later, and I heard Jordan making a strange groaning sound, repeatedly. Jewel was patting his hand and I asked what was wrong with him. "I don't know," she told me. I bent down beside him and noticed his chin was pressed hard against his chest. I lifted his chin and noticed he was drooling--a lot! I tried talking to him, but he was unresponsive, and kept making that noise--then I saw his eyes were rolling in the back of his head. I called for Chris, and he came running upstairs. We rushed to the ER with him--my friend, Steph, who thankfully lives just across the street and had just gotten home from shopping came over to stay with the other children until she could get a hold of my mother to come. There was a nurse outside when Chris peeled into the parking lot, and she ushered us right in. They hooked up Jordan to machines, asking all sorts of questions, drew his blood, took a chest x-ray--he was really struggling to breathe. The doctor suggested he had had a seizure. Chris and I were so frightened for our sweet baby. They took him to get a CAT scan, and he was still very unresponsive. He finally opened his eyes when the put him in there, and again when they took him out. When we brought him back into the ER, he finally got to see Chris and me standing there, and while he didn't really respond, we could tell by his eyes that he recognized us. He fell asleep for about half an hour and when he woke up, he smiled when he saw us, and couldn't stop smiling. It was wonderful. He had a high fever and fell back to sleep, bu we were able to take him home a couple of hours later. He seemed perfectly fine, was running around at my mother's house, playing with cars, and even managed to snitch cake off the table--he was back to being quicker than us, and we were so glad!
The doctor (who was the one who delivered Nathan, so we know him very well, thankfully,) is still a little unsure as to why Jordan had a seizure at all. His fever was high after we brought him in, and all of the tests came back normal. He's thinking it still could have been associated with the fever. Jordan's been fine ever since.
Of course I'm still in school, just finishing up the summer session, I have finals next week, and I had to stay up for hours the night of Jordan's seizure to write my term paper (I was just thankful he was okay!) so I've been totally crazy, but still--I love it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh man, how scary! I'm glad he's okay!

I hope we see you while we're up here. We'll probably head down that way next Sunday or Monday or so.
Nat & Joe said…
Oh wow, that just freaks me right out...I have never been through that, but the doctor called and said keelie had some tests come back abnormal, and her jaundice was high enough for bili lights and I have been a wreck all day. Im so sorry you had to go through that!!! I am so thankful that he is ok. I cant imagine any mother experiencing that...

Popular posts from this blog

It's been waaaay too long . . .

Psychology--state of mind?

School, school, and more school!